The process has changed for referrals to ease the workload on all parties. We have switched from paper forms to online forms. This change was driven by a requirement to perform background checks on the Ark House occupant(s) to comply with Federal Fair Housing requirements. The apartment owners where we rent the Ark House apartments does these checks on their occupants and we must follow suit.
Because the patient is likely to be an occupant in the apartment at some point, our process requires that the patient and all persons, 18 years of age and older who may reside in the apartment for 7 consecutive days or more that 14 days per month, must pass a background check. To perform these background checks, the patient and all prospective occupants must have a unique email address for each person and a SSN. If they are not email users, the social worker, a relative, or a friend may assist them in creating an email account and filling out the required forms.
To get the referral form, click the button below and enter your email address. A referral form will be mailed to you for submission. it is important that you fill out ALL fields on this form. Otherwise Ark House will be calling you for the missing information.
If the patient or occupant does not have an email address, there are instructions for creating a free Google Gmail account at the link below.
What’s next in this process? See “Next Steps” to the right.
How Far is Patient from Dallas
Click button below and type patient residence address into the from field on map. Patient should reside at least fifty (50) miles from Dallas. If a little closer, you may refer patient for consideration.
Process: Referring a Patient to Ark House
Social Worker Referral
- While Ark House does not directly evaluate prospective occupants on the basis of financial need our mission is intended to support those patients who would be more seriously impacted financially by medical care away from home. Ark House has a policy to serve those that live at least fifty (50) miles from Dallas as a priority. You may check this using the map above by typing the patient’s address into the map search box.
- If the patient fits the criteria, the Social Worker can submit a referral by getting a referral form.
- To get the referral form, click the button below and enter your email address. A referral form will be mailed to you for submission. it is important that you fill out ALL fields on this form. Otherwise Ark House will be calling you for the missing information.
Ark House Contacts Patient
- Ark House will contact the patient and/or the occupant to determine their plan for occupancy at Ark House. Who will be the primary (main) occupant and how many other occupants will potentially be residing at Ark House (will there be rotating care givers). Note: Ark House permits two adult occupants to reside in the apartments at the same time.
Ark House Sends Prospective Occupant(s) Application
- Ark House will send each occupant a separate “Application Form & Background Authorization Form” to fill out. This provides the necessary information to provide a preliminary assessment of their qualifications for occupancy.
- Upon receipt of the applications, a preliminary assessment will be made of the prospective occupant’s information.
- If the applications are OK, the primary occupant will be notified that background checks need to be run and will be asked for a credit card to pay the $25.00 fee for each background check. NOTE: In all cases the patient and all prospective occupants are required to have a background check.
Ark House Initiates Background Checks
- Ark House will initiate the background check request with SmartMove, a subsidiary of TransUnion.
- SmartMove will send a short form to each of the prospective occupants for information to verify the appropriate background check is provided to Ark House. (NOTE: This step requires that each prospective occupant have a unique email address that they monitor AND that they have a social security number (SSN).
- Upon completion of the background check, it will be sent to Ark House. At the time it is sent, the primary occupant’s credit card will be charged (This is a non-refundable charge).
Ark House Evaluates Background Check(s)
- Ark House will evaluate the background checks and applications. Ark House will make a determination regarding occupancy. When approved or disapproved, Ark House will contact the primary occupant with that determination.
- If approved, the prospective occupant(s) will be placed on the Active Waitlist. Being on the active waitlist means that the prospective occupant(s) have been fully approved for occupancy and are waiting for an available apartment matching their “need date”. The persons on this list will be given first right to take occupancy when there need date is close provided they are willing to begin paying the daily rent on the apartment and deposit.
Wait List Processing
- The applicant will be placed on the waitlist and will be contacted based on the stated need date when an apartment is available. (Note: Ark House generally has a number of people on an active waitlist and may not be able to honor a specific need date)
Apartment is Available
- When an apartment is available, Ark House will work through the list based on a combination of the earliest referral date and the current need date. If the need date changes it is to patient’s advantage to keep Ark House up to date – (972)671-7144.