Who Qualifies for Ark House?
- You need low cost, temporary housing to facilitate receiving active medical care at a Dallas area hospital for a prolonged and serious illness
- Your permanent home is a minimum of fifty miles from Dallas
- You have a referral from a social worker
- You will allow Ark House to verify your continued care in a local medical facility.
- You have funds to meet rent payments
- Initial stays are 7 to 90 days. After the seven (7) day minimum stay, a phone call or text/email to Ark House reporting your departure will terminate the rent payments.
- Effective July 16, 2019, the cost is $231.00 per week ($33.00 per night) payable by credit or debit card.
- After the seven (7) days, refunds are made for any unused days (Minimum rent payment $231.00).
- Rent is paid in advance in weekly increments.
- A $100.00 security deposit is required. The deposit will be refunded if the instructions in the “Going Home” section in the apartment notebook are followed.
- Move in cost is $331.00 (Security deposit plus one week rent in advance)
- Thereafter, rent is charged weekly on Fridays
- For each occupant age 18 or older, a charge of $25.00 (non-refundable) will be required to pay for the occupant background check at the time the application is submitted. This is required for the patient and each additional occupant. [Patient + two occupants = $75.00]
Typical Ark House Apartment Layout
(Click Layout to See Pictures)
How You Will Know if An Apartment is Available for You?
- The social worker will verify your need for low-cost housing and must submit a referral to an Ark House Occupancy volunteer.
- You will be contacted to confirm your desire to be considered for an apartment
- You will be asked to fill out an application
- A criminal history check will performed
- You will be informed if there is any issue with the application or criminal history check
- When an apartment is available, an Ark House volunteer will contact you and provide the necessary directions and instructions.
- If an apartment is not available, you remain on the wait list pending availability
Location of Ark House:
Ark House is part of an apartment complex located in North Dallas near Royal Lane and US Highway 75 (North Central Expressway). You will receive specific instructions on locating it when an apartment is available for you.
- Travel time to various hospitals depends on traffic conditions, but averages between ten and thirty minutes.
- Access by public transportation – Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) is a combination of buses and trains that provide access to primary Dallas area hospitals including: Medical City, Baylor, Presbyterian, UT Southwestern, and Parkland. A bus stop is located at the apartment complex providing access to the DART train system. An all-day pass is available for $6.00 ($3.00 in special cases.
Phone: (972) 671-7144
P.O. Box 833656
Richardson, TX 75082-3656
Ark House is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization providing low cost housing for those undergoing long-term medical care in Dallas with no local residence.